Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Letters to Santa!


So this is the first year that I have my own mail route. So when letters come addressed to Santa this year I get to answer them for my route! Not all Mail Carriers do this, but a few do and I thought it would be fun

That is until I received my first letter yesterday. This youngster asked for 23 things, most a which are really large purchase items. He wants an ipod, laptop, x box, wii, guitar hero etc. At first I thought what a greedy little kid. Then I got to #10 and he would like a washer and dryer for his dad. This broke my heart to see a child think of his parents.


Now my dilemma is how do I respond? I need to create some kind of cute form letter without promising anything. I don't want to give false hope when I have no idea what the financial situation is with all of the families. I was thinking of just saying something like I received your letter and I'll be watching to see if you are knotty or nice or something like that. I've been told that the kids get so excited when they get these letter. There is one Down Syndrome guy in his 20's on one of the routes in the office who sends off a letter to Santa every year. Then he waits by his mail box everyday for his letter from Santa. Last year the mail carrier got behind in answering the letters and this caused the fellow some anxiety! He was afraid Santa didn't get his letter! It is so fun to see Christmas through the eyes of children!

3 comments:

Denise said...

How cute! Should I have my kids write a letter to Santa and mail it to you!?

That is a hard position to be in. I would ask others who have written back before. I would say something like...he had a lot of good wishes but he can not receive all of them. You are proud of him for thinking of others while writing the list and that you promise he will have a great Christmas. I have no idea!! Good luck :)

Jen said...

Wow, I don't know what I would say. I like what Denise said. I don't think I would have expected that to be a hard thing either. Pretty cool job though.

Rachel said...

So fun! I have got to start using the naughty or nice thing with my kids... why have I waited so long?? We are sending letters to Santa now too.. thanks for the great idea! Good luck with answering them.. maybe there's a form letter on the internet or something?